The Youth Award for Outstanding Achievement funds one 10-Year Membership in the American Daffodil Society for a qualified Youth member who meets the Youth Award criteria.
Rules of eligibility and application:
The award is open to current Youth Members in grades 5-12 who have held American Daffodil Society membership for at least two consecutive calendar years prior to receiving the award.
The applicant must grow and maintain a personal collection of daffodils; no minimum number of cultivars is required.
The applicant must submit the following material:
- An essay of any length, in the Youth member’s own words, explaining how the collection began.
- Statement, in the Youth member’s own words, relating the personal enjoyment of growing daffodils.
- Ten photographs from the Youth Member’s own collection. These photographs must include:
- one example of an individual bloom.
- one example of a garden view which includes a part of the Youth member’s collection.
The remaining photographs may be of the Youth Member’s own choosing.
If the Youth member reaches the age of 21 before the 10 year award is completed, the award translates into an individual adult membership for the remainder of the 10 year period. A Youth member can only receive this award one time.
All materials (essay, statement, and photographs) should be mailed to the American Daffodil Society Youth Committee chairperson, postmarked no later than February 1st of the year in which the award selection will be announced. Please send your materials to the following mailing address;
American Daffodil Society Youth Chairperson
375 Bobwhite Ln.
Winchester, KY 40391
The American Daffodil Society Youth Committee members will evaluate the entries and select the winning applicant by vote. The award will be announced at the American Daffodil Society National Convention and will be published in The Daffodil Journal and the American Daffodil Society youth newsletter.
Click here to download a copy of this criteria: Daffodil Youth Award Criteria